Follow my blog with Bloglovin

In between the bigger tasks bunch of other smaller improvements were made during the summer. Many were just tick in the box type of things to do, where as some required hours of work. In general it seems that there is two things that goes through everything, A) every job takes twice the time you’d think it would and B) googling and buying some missing parts from the other side of the city doubles the time required…

Cosmetics

 

20170420_195529891797554.jpg
Removing the old and adding the new

After installing a lot of new electronic gadgets, hiding the wires required a lot of work. In fact, many of the details in the boat were not thought through when building the boat or after that. In this segment were the closets for clothes and the toilet closets. Bases for the closets needed to be built. At the same time this helped in storing goods in the closet as well as hiding the wires underneath.

The finishing touch was missing also in the walls of the forepeak closets. The ugly yellow isolation material was out hitting the eyes. I was had several different ideas on how to hide it. In the end I chose to paint it white. It was a good decision. You don’t see behind the clothes that much anyways. So it was a good result faster and cheaper.

A cock for the saildrive

One thing that added safety was adding a cock for the saildrive. For the Yanmar Saildrive SD20 there were no ready cocks to be bought. On my SD there was a screw for cutting the water. But it was located in such a difficult place that I never closed it.

 

Laponesto
The new sea cock for the saildrive and the vented loop

I went around the motor services and asked about the saildrive sea cocks, but the ones ready were only for Volvo Penta. Luckily there was a pro service man at place and he built up one for me and tested at the service that it will fit my engine. Great! As the part was literally built for my engine it was easy to just put some pipe sealant and put it in place. Now the sea cock is actually closed sometimes and the risk for a deluge that way is now minimal.

20170520_1625051288712375.jpg
The new sea cock for the SD20 fits like a glove!

At the same time I replaced the vented loop. The old one was located unpractically in the toilet. The old loop was spilling water. And on top of that it was located besides the main switch for the electricity! So it was about time to renew it and put it in a safer surroundings. I filled the toilet wall and painted it. The loop got its new place on the other side of the wall under the stairs.

The old and the new vented loop.

20170531_194949800834540.jpg
At spring I had to move on to using a daily todo -list for the boat. In addition to the most important electricity, chart plotter, AIS, VHF etc. installations, painting and other jobs there was a bunch of other stuff to do…

 

Jussi

 

For more articles under the category Fixing the boat, click here!

Posted by:Liberta

Liberta.fi is following two dreamers prepairing themselves and their boat s/y Liberta for the life at the seven seas.

Leave a Reply