Insulation, Let’s All Insulate And Have A Good Time

Last summer our bow cabin seemed to gather a lot of moisture. One reason behind this was the uninsulated metal surfaces. The bare aluminum also emits cold especially during fall when the water temperature gets cold. As a solution I decided to insulate the uninsulated parts and add a hatch vent to the fore peak hatch.

This is where it's going to be -
Aluminum surface emits cold.

The weather on March-April was way too cold for any material to attach, so this job had to be done while we were already on water. And also I wasn’t sure how I’d do the job. So I decided to try the traditional approach and learn by doing.

Learning by doing -
At least I tried.

Again I went through quite many different forums and blogs around the subject. Various methods had been tried from insulation boards to sprayed materials. Also on Liberta all parts above the waterline, including the roof, have been insulated with polyurethane.

Because the insulated area was pretty small, I gave a go to a sprayed insulation foam. Didn’t work. With some kind of a frame the height of the layer could have been narrowed down, but without one, making an even layer was not possible. Also evening out after spraying it wasn’t an option. But at least I tried. It would have been fast and cheap…

Roudausta -
Let’s roll up the insulations and go!

The next option was using different foamed plastics. Pretty good solutions have been made from as cheap materials as foam used to make trekking mattresses. But instead I decided to take out my wallet and pay up for the more expensive thicker foamed plastic. And I even tossed in some extra euros for the one with adhesive surface.

I decided to take out my wallet and pay up for the more expensive thicker foamed plastic.

The self-adhesive surface made the job a lot easier.

Thicker 32mm insulation was easy to form and of course starting with the larger bits made the job go forward fast. Paying a bit more for the self-adhesive material was worth every penny as it made the job faster and easier. Sure, the glue gets stuck on the carpet knife, but it’s not as bad as gluing the bits.

Lookin’ good.

Cutting the small bits was time consuming. But as always, hunger grows as you eat. Also this time things got out of hand as the job spread under the lockers “while we’re at it”. And now that I began opening the locker bottoms, why not opening the floorboards as well… Finally the most time consuming part was making those parts slimmer and on the right angle to fit under… 🙂

The result is pretty good and at least I think it immediately feels better inside the cabin.

Also this time things got out of hand.

Under the salon bench -
But hey, how about under the bunks in the salon?

For an instant I was happy with the result. But… there’s a bit of the insulation material left. I’ll put it in the aft cabin. But how about the salon?

What if I put in some insulation there as well…

Basically the same story applied with the surfaces under the bunks in the salon. Bare metal is emitting cold and moisture. And even bigger than that, there’s often some gear stored that are made of various metals, more noble than aluminum. With some foam under, one doesn’t have to put any thoughts on that issue. On these spots I decided to do the insulation from the cheap trekking matresses and see how they work.

EU regulated instructions for use to these gloves!! -
How did we cope before we had these EU regulated instructions for use on these gloves?!

Working on the trekking mattresses was easier. Of course gluing them took a bit more time. On choosing the glues one needs to make sure that the glue is not melting the material, but still sticks. I bought a spray glue that was good for the job. It had pretty stiff fumes, but it was easy and fast to use. Again, I saved on the wrong place and the glue ended in the last steps. I couldn’t find the same glue from where I was shopping, so I used No more nails. That was a bit heavy stuff for the job, but at least it will stick.

Cutting and gluing.

The easiest way to cut the smaller bits was using the scissors. The pieces of the puzzle were coming out nicely.

The result was pretty good.

We’ll see how these insulations will work during the summer, but it surely is better than before!


For more articles under the category Fixing the boatclick here!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.